The jewelry and watchmaking company Ugo Piccini has been operating in the industry for several generations.
Founded in 1952 by Mr. Ugo Piccini, it is now managed by Edoardo Piccini and Barbara Piccioli, respectively the son and wife of Mario Piccini.
In addition to offering a wide range of watches from prestigious brands, the store also offers jewelry from top brands as well as their own designs. These pieces are entirely handmade by the finest Florentine goldsmith masters. Recently, the local historical premises have been renovated to provide an even more welcoming environment for customers, combining tradition and contemporaneity.
The store is located in the heart of Florence, next to the Ponte Vecchio and near Piazza della Signoria. A few steps away from the Ugo Piccini shop windows are the very famous Uffizi Gallery and Palazzo Pitti, which in the past was the main residence of the most important family in Florence, the Medici. The Audemars Piguet boutique managed by Edoardo Piccini is located on the Ponte Vecchio and a new shop will soon be opened in Forte dei Marmi.
The same jewelery stands at the foot of another historic building in Florence: the Torre degli Amidei, which was built in 1100 and is one of the few towers in this area to have survived the Second World War.
The war destroyed the tower
On the night between August 3rd and 4th, 1944, the road was mined and blown up by German troops. All the buildings and houses that stood there were destroyed. Only the towers of the Baldovinetti, Consorti, and Amidei partially remained standing.
The first storefront
On a cold but clear morning in late winter, the windows of a new jewelry store were opened for the first time. The young Ugo Piccini had chosen one of the most enchanting corners of Florence, near Por Santa Maria, for his venture.
The flood in Florence
On November 4th, 1966, the Arno River overflowed, and a sea of water invaded the city, sweeping away everything in its path But the Florentines are not people who are easily discouraged, even Ugo Piccini with his collaborators, masters accustomed to creating refined jewels, set to work to recover the damages suffered.
With the rebirth of the store, a new season of great satisfaction began for Ugo Piccini, as he saw his clientele grow increasingly numerous and loyal. They were no longer referred to as customers but as friends, who upon arriving in Florence sought advice from Ugo on where to go and what to visit.
An important anniversary
The jewelry store celebrates its first 50 years. The chosen headquarters in the Amidei Palace had become a landmark for all jewelry-loving tourists. It was an important milestone, made of history and stories.
Few businesses can boast of reaching 70 years of operation. Ugo’s daughter-in-law and grandson continue to carry on the tradition. Even today, the children and grandchildren of Ugo’s friends come back to visit him, full of memories of their loved ones.